Searching for the Truth
I recently had this somewhat public meltdown. I had entered this spiritual blackhole and am just now coming out of the tail end of it.
1. Realize your existence is temporary.
Once you realize everything in this existence is temporary, your life, your job, your car, your family, your title, your legacy…everything. How long will your genetic lineage last…how long will the human race last? 1000 years? 100,000 years? Everything you value will disappear/become zero as your approach infinity. Even the religions of the past have become the Greek Mythology of today.
The other way to get past step 1 is to achieve everything you wanted to do in this life. Everything people want in this life is ecompassed withing Maslow’s Triangle. After you get your basic needs handled, have a safe and stable life, have all the quality relationships and family you wanted, satisfied your ego and life’s goals and accomplishments, and have done everything you’ve ever wanted to do, you will enter a void of questioning the meaning of everything. You will find that all of that was not the answer and it was not enough. More of the same won’t get you any closer. Even if you decide your life’s answer is helping people, which is a seemingly never ending noble cause…it doesn’t answer the questions of why we exist or what happens after we die without any doubt.
Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle (Learn the temporariness of existence and how to become more present)
New Earth by Eckhart Tolle (Apply the concepts of Power of Now)
2. Challenge your own beliefs. Open your mind. Enter the void.
This will likely be the hardest part of the journey for most people. Average people are trapped in a Matrix of social programming that starts from birth. It teaches you how to think, what job to get, when to get married, why you need to have children, how to judge other people, what your identity is, and finally…what to believe. Whether you believe it or not, you have been indoctrinated with beliefs and religions that most of you have never even questioned or would ever even consider questioning.
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill – you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” –Morpheus
- Shatter your reality with hard science and facts. Read some of these articles and videos to start your journey. First, watch Physicist explain how they discovered time does not exist on PBS at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/fabric-of-cosmos.html#fabric-time What is consciousness?
- Research what exactly you believe and where did your religion/beliefs come from? Why do you believe in what you believe? What are the origins of your religion? What is the history of the development of your religion? Is your interpretation of your religion the only one? How do you know that is the right one?
- Research the opposing view of what you believe. Research the authorities of books and videos and websites of opposing viewpoints. For example, if you are Christian, find top rated books on Amazon on Atheism. You can even start by going on Google and typing questions that prove what you believe is wrong to see opposing viewpoints of other people.
- Research all the other possibilities. This could include, Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), Buddhism, New Age, Simulation Hypothesis, Atheism, Agnostic, Pantheism, Metaphysics, Big Bang theory, etc. This is a life journey so don’t feel overwhelmed. I would start with the belief you despise the most to help you open your mind and to hopefully end your prejudice.
3. Search for the truth. That’s it. There is no magic truth…sorry. Even if I had one solid belief at this point, if I told it to you, I would just be sucking you into my reality and into another Matrix.
I can leave you with this advice. Continue with your worldly goals, yes even the superficial ones if you want, while you search for the answer. Helping people and ending suffering for everyone is worth pursuing and seems to be a commonality in a lot of belief pathways. End prejudice starting with yourself.
Whether the answer is nothing, some paradox where everything is wrong and right simultaneously, we are all wrong or some standard religion…it is possible we may never find the answer until we die (and even that is not guaranteed). It’s possible the journey for the truth is the destination. Regardless, build the most meaningful life possible now, Today, because it’s also possible that is all we really have, or now exists infinitely, or maybe not. Who knows?